Torchy the Battery Boy (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Thunderbirds Creator Dies
Most puppeteers will know that during the Christmas season Gerry Anderson passed away at the age of 83, on December 26th.
Gerry, the film and television producer, created a studio that became one of the greatest puppet film organisations that was known throughout the world, and many of the series of iconic programs that were made are still being shown in many countries.
The early programmes such as ‘Torchy the Battery Boy’,‘Twizzle’ and ‘Four Feather Falls’ were typically puppet style figures. Later the series became major works based on international rescue pursuits, featuring more naturalistic characters, curious creatures, and monstrous flying craft. The puppets were often based on well known film stars. It is interesting to know that Gerry admitted that it was a mistake to make naturalistic characters.
Despite the fact that the programmes were made with puppets, he never really liked them; the only puppet that he liked, and did keep, was ‘Parker’, from ‘Thunderbirds’, his favourite series. It was the last puppet character that I created, and the time that I left the studios. Gerry’s ‘Parker’ was sold in Japan for £38,000, the highest price paid at that time for a puppet in an auction; more recently another Parker was sold for £50,000.
The Anderson studios provided many well known puppeteers years of work, making puppets and manipulating them creating them.
The creators of special effects had their own studios and were one of the most talented groups of special effects creators in the film industries, many of them continued to produce masterpieces of special effects for some of the finest major cinema films. The writers and the actors were also some of the leading film and television personalities.
Two years ago, at the last ‘Fanderson Event’, I was invited as a special guest; sadly Gerry was very ill and found it difficult to remember people. The event was extraordinary in many ways, with writers, actors, creators and other specialists involved in the films related to the creation of the various programmes, spent many hours signing books, photographs and other objects. There were remarkable extraordinary hobbyist copies of puppets and the various crafts seen in the programmes. Gerry and the other guests provided talks and interviews to packed audiences. People of all ages, young and old, travelled from many parts of the world to join the event.
It was wonderful to see so many people young and old alike that have, and are inspired by the programmes. Some of the many talented hobbyists ultimately found themselves working in the studios and special effects departments. The ‘Fanderson’ organisation and the world wide following of fans will certainly make sure that the legacy of Gerry Anderson and the team that created the films will continue into the far distant future.
Jolly Good Productions
- Christmas Costume Characters In Action
- Desert Rats, Treasure And Redcar
- Storytelling | Are Fables Relevant Today?
- Measuring Job Satisfaction
- Is Twitter A Complete Waste Of Time?
- York Visit Kindles Minster Wedding Memories
- Defining Happiness
- Children’s Encyclopedia Britannica Problem | Help Wanted
- Do You Suffer From Wind?
- Mayor For A Minute
- Urinals You Have Just Got To See!
- The Ripon Hornblower
- The Secret Millionaire
- Adam’s Crazy Caricatures!
- Christmas Craft Workshop
- Bill Tarmey And Me
- Kids Say The Funniest Things
- Genuine Laughter
- The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Clock
- Jolly Good Productions Links To Main Pages
- Royal Quays Star Wars Piece
- Tips On Taking Photos Or Video At A Children’s Party
- Monkwearmouth Museum Gets Thumbs Up From Mr Punch
- Grand National Winner Supports Race Night Fund Raiser
- Free Children’s Show, Christmas Eve | Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Christmas Show For Your Xmas Party
- Christmas Puppet Show
- Mr Punch’s Xmas Party
- Christmas Eve Show, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Christmas Eve, FREE Show!
- Joel’s Amazing Pirate Cakes
- Birthday Cake Ideas
- How to plan a Children’s Christmas Party
- Amazing Birthday Cake!
- The Crook Town Festival Of Music
- ‘Spring Into Magic’ Family theatre show.
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair
- Live Crocodile To Star In Punch And Judy Show
- Hawes Gala | The Water Slide
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- Wynyard Hall Gardens
- Punch, Fire And Crafty Goings On Delight Visitors At Top Museum
- Boomwackers Are Fun
- As Pleased As Punch!
- Wensleydale Show 2010
- Oblivion | Funny Film By Spoke
- The Stockton Summer Show And Why I’ve Gone Right Off Jazz Singers
- In Store Entertainment That Works!
- You Tube Free Video Downloader
- National Play Day, Meridian Park, Cleethorpes
- Shooting Gallery With Moving Targets!
- Traditional Amusements | Chair O Plane Ride
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- Punch And Judy Kissing Is No Laughing Matter
- How To Attract Attention To Your Stand
- Puppet King For Wolverhampton
- Children’s Centre Activity Day Feedback
- Punch And Judy May Fayre, Covent Garden
- Paul Storey’s Funny Duck
- Kid’s Shows Inside Or Out?
- Punch And Judy And Why Size Matters!
- Punch and the Devil
- How to get the most from your children’s entertainer!
- Punch And Judy Shows Are Not All The Same!
- Mr Punch’s Big Birthday Bash
- How to make a puppet head | You Tube
- First Xmas Show Of 2010
- Get Some Christmas Cheer
- Make A Stunning Entrance To Your Santa’s Grotto
- Balloon Modelling | Anxiety And Frustration For Parents
- Festive Balloons
- Christmas Balloons
- The “Old Hoss” Of Richmond
- The Buck Inn, Maunby
- Balloon Santa Claus
- Christmas Is A Pain In The B**!
- A Fabulous Christmas Party
- “Frozen” Christmas Party Balloon Display
- Rushden Christmas Light Switch On 2014
- Brighouse Victorian Christmas Festival 2013
- There’s no excuse for a shoddy Santa Claus!
- What Makes A Good Father Christmas?
- Redcar Christmas Light Switch On 2010
- Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer | Hire
- Cakes To Die For
- Face Painting Course
- Cracking Cake Caper Caps Kids Commotion!
- The importance of working with a clean face painting kit
- Butterfly Face by Hazel Wood
- Holiday Club Ideas | Circus Day
- The Stadium Of Light, Sunderland
- How To Pack Them In On A Charity Race Night!