Torchy the Battery Boy (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Thunderbirds Creator Dies
Most puppeteers will know that during the Christmas season Gerry Anderson passed away at the age of 83, on December 26th.
Gerry, the film and television producer, created a studio that became one of the greatest puppet film organisations that was known throughout the world, and many of the series of iconic programs that were made are still being shown in many countries.
The early programmes such as ‘Torchy the Battery Boy’,‘Twizzle’ and ‘Four Feather Falls’ were typically puppet style figures. Later the series became major works based on international rescue pursuits, featuring more naturalistic characters, curious creatures, and monstrous flying craft. The puppets were often based on well known film stars. It is interesting to know that Gerry admitted that it was a mistake to make naturalistic characters.
Despite the fact that the programmes were made with puppets, he never really liked them; the only puppet that he liked, and did keep, was ‘Parker’, from ‘Thunderbirds’, his favourite series. It was the last puppet character that I created, and the time that I left the studios. Gerry’s ‘Parker’ was sold in Japan for £38,000, the highest price paid at that time for a puppet in an auction; more recently another Parker was sold for £50,000.
The Anderson studios provided many well known puppeteers years of work, making puppets and manipulating them creating them.
The creators of special effects had their own studios and were one of the most talented groups of special effects creators in the film industries, many of them continued to produce masterpieces of special effects for some of the finest major cinema films. The writers and the actors were also some of the leading film and television personalities.
Two years ago, at the last ‘Fanderson Event’, I was invited as a special guest; sadly Gerry was very ill and found it difficult to remember people. The event was extraordinary in many ways, with writers, actors, creators and other specialists involved in the films related to the creation of the various programmes, spent many hours signing books, photographs and other objects. There were remarkable extraordinary hobbyist copies of puppets and the various crafts seen in the programmes. Gerry and the other guests provided talks and interviews to packed audiences. People of all ages, young and old, travelled from many parts of the world to join the event.
It was wonderful to see so many people young and old alike that have, and are inspired by the programmes. Some of the many talented hobbyists ultimately found themselves working in the studios and special effects departments. The ‘Fanderson’ organisation and the world wide following of fans will certainly make sure that the legacy of Gerry Anderson and the team that created the films will continue into the far distant future.
Jolly Good Productions
- Christmas Costume Characters In Action
- Storytelling | Are Fables Relevant Today?
- Desert Rats, Treasure And Redcar
- Is Twitter A Complete Waste Of Time?
- Measuring Job Satisfaction
- York Visit Kindles Minster Wedding Memories
- Defining Happiness
- Children’s Encyclopedia Britannica Problem | Help Wanted
- Do You Suffer From Wind?
- The Ripon Hornblower
- Mayor For A Minute
- Urinals You Have Just Got To See!
- The Secret Millionaire
- Adam’s Crazy Caricatures!
- Christmas Craft Workshop
- Kids Say The Funniest Things
- Bill Tarmey And Me
- The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Clock
- Jolly Good Productions Links To Main Pages
- Royal Quays Star Wars Piece
- Tips On Taking Photos Or Video At A Children’s Party
- Grand National Winner Supports Race Night Fund Raiser
- Monkwearmouth Museum Gets Thumbs Up From Mr Punch
- Mr Punch’s Xmas Party
- Christmas Show For Your Xmas Party
- Christmas Eve, FREE Show!
- Free Children’s Show, Christmas Eve | Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Christmas Eve Show, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Christmas Puppet Show
- Amazing Birthday Cake!
- Birthday Cake Ideas
- Joel’s Amazing Pirate Cakes
- How to plan a Children’s Christmas Party
- The Crook Town Festival Of Music
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair
- Live Crocodile To Star In Punch And Judy Show
- ‘Spring Into Magic’ Family theatre show.
- In Store Entertainment That Works!
- Oblivion | Funny Film By Spoke
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- Punch, Fire And Crafty Goings On Delight Visitors At Top Museum
- Wensleydale Show 2010
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- The Stockton Summer Show And Why I’ve Gone Right Off Jazz Singers
- Boomwackers Are Fun
- As Pleased As Punch!
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- Hawes Gala | The Water Slide
- You Tube Free Video Downloader
- Wynyard Hall Gardens
- Punch And Judy Kissing Is No Laughing Matter
- National Play Day, Meridian Park, Cleethorpes
- Traditional Amusements | Chair O Plane Ride
- Shooting Gallery With Moving Targets!
- Punch And Judy And Why Size Matters!
- Puppet King For Wolverhampton
- Children’s Centre Activity Day Feedback
- Kid’s Shows Inside Or Out?
- Punch and the Devil
- How to make a puppet head | You Tube
- Mr Punch’s Big Birthday Bash
- How To Attract Attention To Your Stand
- How to get the most from your children’s entertainer!
- Punch And Judy May Fayre, Covent Garden
- Punch And Judy Shows Are Not All The Same!
- Paul Storey’s Funny Duck
- The “Old Hoss” Of Richmond
- Get Some Christmas Cheer
- First Xmas Show Of 2010
- Make A Stunning Entrance To Your Santa’s Grotto
- Balloon Modelling | Anxiety And Frustration For Parents
- Balloon Santa Claus
- The Buck Inn, Maunby
- What Makes A Good Father Christmas?
- Christmas Is A Pain In The B**!
- Festive Balloons
- There’s no excuse for a shoddy Santa Claus!
- Redcar Christmas Light Switch On 2010
- “Frozen” Christmas Party Balloon Display
- Rushden Christmas Light Switch On 2014
- Brighouse Victorian Christmas Festival 2013
- A Fabulous Christmas Party
- Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer | Hire
- The Stadium Of Light, Sunderland
- Butterfly Face by Hazel Wood
- The importance of working with a clean face painting kit
- Holiday Club Ideas | Circus Day
- Cakes To Die For
- How To Build A Beach At Your Event
- Top Tips for Race Night Success
- Hire Real Donkeys
- Face Painting Video Demonstration, Tiger Face By Hazel Wood
- Children’s Entertainment Can Be A Real Hoot