Keeping The Tradition Alive
It’s true. The traditional Punch and Judy Show is making a come back but you won’t often see Mr Punch and his friends down on the beach so it’s no good heading off to Redcar, Whitby, Scarborough or Bridlington to see him. The chances are he won’t be there.
It’s funny how good ideas catch on. In recent years “Seaside Events” have become popular in Yorkshire. I’m not sure who started it off but there are now annual seaside days taking place in town centres and market squares throughout North Yorkshire and West Yorkshire too. Even enterprising showmen have got in on the act realising the appeal a seaside day can have to families looking for a fun day out hence the local fair has now become “Barnsley by the Sea” etc.
The essential ingredients for a fantastic seaside day are sand, buckets and spades, a Punch and Judy Show, ice cream and donkey rides. I’ll not mention sunshine!
This is all good news if you are a Yorkshire based Punch and Judy Man ( which of course I am ). I live in beautiful Richmond North Yorkshire and as far as I know I am the first and only professional Punch and Judy Man the town has ever had. Richmond was a very prosperous place in Georgian times and boasts a delightful Georgian, cobbled market square, a fabulous castle, a pretty waterfall and much more. It’s a very interesting place to live with lots of history. I love it and I am sure Mr Punch feels very comfortable here too as he is as historical as he is hysterical having arrived in England from Italy in the mid seventeenth century.
I have always been very interested in history and I have always thought it’s important to keep old traditions alive which are two reasons why I love Punch and Judy so much. I’m also very proud to be a Yorkshire man. I was born in the seaside town of Redcar ( then in North Yorkshire ) and as a commissioned officer in the Yorkshire Volunteers ( a Territorial Army Infantry Regiment ) had the privilege of being married to my wife Hazel in York Minster.
Over the many years I have been fortunate enough to be Mr Punch’s travelling companion and have performed my Punch and Judy Show throughout Yorkshire including Richmond, Bedale, Northallerton, Thirsk, Ripon, Harrogate and York which are all within an hour of my home. I am used to travelling further field and have also performed at events in Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Halifax, Wakefield, Barnsley, Sheffield, Doncaster and many, many more places in between.
I have to be honest. Travelling around Yorkshire with Punch and Judy has never been a problem to me. First of all I am proud to be a Yorkshire man and second, I’m on a mission….Keeping The Tradition Alive!
If you are looking for a Punch and Judy Show for your event call me now for a FREE quotation. Just fill in the ENQUIRY FORM which will give me all the information I need to get back to you with a price. Thank you.
Jolly Good Productions
- Victorian Punch and Judy Show
- Punch and Judy in Durham
- Do You Suffer From Wind?
- Punch And Judy Visit Historic Northumberland
- Punch Arrested!
- World’s longest-running Punch and Judy show notches up 150 years | Mail Online
- Punch Fan Finds Fun Come Rain Or Sun!
- Punch And Judy Kissing Is No Laughing Matter
- Georgian Punch and Judy
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- Mr Punch’s 350th Birthday Party
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair
- How To Build A Beach At Your Event
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- How To Attract Attention To Your Stand
- Monkwearmouth Museum Gets Thumbs Up From Mr Punch
- Good Old Fashioned Fun!
- Punch and Judy Man, County Durham
- Punch And Judy Show Shocks Adult Audience
- Punch And Judy Shows Are Not All The Same!
- Outdoor Events | Do I Need A Wet Weather Plan ?
- Irreverent Punch At Student Party
- Measuring Job Satisfaction
- Mr Punch and the Padre
- As Pleased As Punch!
- Punch and the Devil
- Mr Punch and The Barrel Organ
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- The Seaside Comes To Barnsley!
- The “Old Hoss” Of Richmond
- The Ripon Hornblower
- Punch And Judy May Fayre, Covent Garden
- Punch And Judy | 350th Anniversary Celebrations
- Jolly Good Fun At RAF Waddington
- Punch And Judy And Why Size Matters!
- Line Dancing Classes in Bedale, North Yorkshire
- Ripon Festival Spring Fair 2011
- Methodist Church Hall, Scorton
- Mayor For A Minute
- Thirsk and Sowerby Town Hall
- Newton Le Willows Village Hall
- Dalton and Gayles Memorial Hall
- Mr Punch | Breaking News!
- Mr Punch’s Xmas Party
- Thorp Perrow Circus Mayhem
- Jolly Good Fun For Army Kids
- Beighton Gala with Mr Punch
- Alnwick Lions Family Fun Day
- Family Fun Day Entertainment Tips | Site Layout
- The Buck Inn, Maunby
- Grand National Winner Supports Race Night Fund Raiser
- Face Painting For Beginners
- Deer Shed Festival Has Balldersby Bopping
- Christmas Eve, FREE Show!
- Newbiggin Maritime Centre | Seaside Day
- Ripon Seaside Day 2011
- Why You should Never Forget Your Trousers
- West Witton Gala | Wensleydale
- Falconry UK
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- Mr Punch’s Big Birthday Bash
- Wensleydale Show 2010
- Punch, Fire And Crafty Goings On Delight Visitors At Top Museum
- Coronation Street Star In Wensleydale
- Live Crocodile To Star In Punch And Judy Show
- How To Get Even More People To Attend Your Event!
- Traditional Amusements | Chair O Plane Ride
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair 2011
- Jubilee Events | Jolly Good Productions
- Shooting Gallery With Moving Targets!
- Hire A Vintage Fairground Ride
- Great Yorkshire Show Is Expensive!
- Christmas Eve Show, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- How to make Toffee
- Beginner Face Painting Course
- Is Twitter A Complete Waste Of Time?
- Cyrenians at Blagdon Estate
- Why Everyone Loves A Pirate Theme Party
- Malton Show 2015
- Hold An Eagle Owl For Three Pounds
- Prescot Shopping Centre
- Stockton Toys And Gifts
- Hawes Gala | The Water Slide
- Magic And Monkey Business At Hartlepool Rovers
- Ripon Jubilee Celebrations
- Wolsingham Gala 2015
- LATIN, BALLROOM AND SEQUENCE DANCE CLASSES
- Puppet King For Wolverhampton
- East Harlsey Village Hall
- Donkey Rides
- Face Painter, Catterick Garrison
- Is a Bouncy Castle a dream or a nightmare ?
- Frank Watson Kiddies Roundabouts For Hire