There are various types of clowns. The “Auguste” clown is the one that most people imagine. Baggy clothes, big red nose, big feet etc. There are also “White Face” clowns, “Contemporary” clowns, “European” clowns and “Character” clowns. Each type has is identified by certain characteristics.
What is a character clown?
Whilst most clowns are fairly generic in their appearance a character clown has a very specific and clearly recognisable identity. Charlie Chaplin could be classed as a character clown. The little tramp with his funny walk and cane became very famous in the days of the silent movie. Another very well know character clown was Emmet Kelley. He was an American circus clown who was always sad.
Character clowns often mimic a respectable profession. They are poking fun at the establishment which is why people find them amusing. The bungling policeman, an absent minded headmaster, a silly doctor all have great potential for this role.
Character clowns can be employed to great effect at events. Its great fun to have a clown policeman at the entrance in charge of security. The absent minded headmaster is a good one for educational / school events. Clown doctors often work in hospitals. A cowboy clown is great for a wild west themed event.
Here are some of the character clowns I have created and use from time to time when not performing as Chuckle The Clown.
Character Clown Scotsman McChuckle
Let me know what you think of my characters. Perhaps you have a great idea for a new character clown? If so post a comment. Thanks everyone.
Jolly Good Productions
- History Of Clowns
- Birthday Party Clown
- What is an ” AUGUSTE ” clown?
- Amazing Clown Birthday Cake
- A tribute to Michael Polakovs “Coco” a brilliant clown
- Why You should Never Forget Your Trousers
- How To Make Yourself Feel Better
- An Entertaining Life
- Why Do We Like Clowns So Much ?
- Don’t see a doctor see a clown!
- What can politicians learn from the clowns?
- Chuckle The Clown | Interview
- Entertaining Pre School Age Children At A Birthday Party
- Laughter is the Best Medicine: The Health Benefits of Humor
- After Dinner Speaker Chuckle The Clown
- Clown Commercial Tickles Walmart Customers Funny Bones
- Holiday Club Ideas | Circus Day
- The Stadium Of Light, Sunderland
- Punch And Judy Shows Are Not All The Same!
- Walby Farm Park
- How To Entertain Older Kids
- Leyburn Primary School Summer Fair, May 2010
- Adam’s Crazy Caricatures!
- Pants In The Park In Gateshead 2010
- The Cutest Thing You’ve Ever Seen!
- Mr Punch | Breaking News!
- Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer | Hire
- How To Attract Attention To Your Stand
- Eye Catching Entrances
- There’s no excuse for a shoddy Santa Claus!
- Ever Seen A Tree That Can Walk?
- Prescot Shopping Centre
- National Play Day, Meridian Park, Cleethorpes
- Circus Workshop Plan For An Event
- Punch, Fire And Crafty Goings On Delight Visitors At Top Museum
- Donkey Rides
- Petwise Petting Zoo
- Christmas Puppet Show
- How Long Will New Play Park Last?
- Kid’s Shows Inside Or Out?
- Good Old Fashioned Fun!
- Free Business Directory
- Do You Suffer From Wind?
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- Face Painting Tips 1
- Face Painting Tips 7
- Face Painting Tips 6
- How To Make Yummy Yummy Chocolate Cookies
- Theme Party Ideas
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- Ripon Seaside Day 2011
- Brighouse Victorian Christmas Festival 2013
- Thorp Perrow Circus Mayhem
- August Bank Holiday Events
- Elephants, Narnia and a touch of Westminster Abbey!
- Children’s Centre Activity Day Feedback
- Hen Party | Plucking Up Fun!
- C673 Family Fun Day
- CRB Checks, What Are The Rules?
- Holiday Club Ideas | Magic Day
- King Custard Puppet Show Review
- Tractor Birthday Cake
- Cakes To Die For
- Ferret Racing
- Hire Real Donkeys
- Cardboard Castles | Fab Fun For Kids!
- Hire A Vintage Fairground Ride
- Hartlepool Tall Ships Will Be Jolly Good Fun | TV Commercial
- Hazel Gets Them In Line!
- Hawes Gala 2012 Was No wash Out!
- Shooting Gallery Is Bang On Target
- West Witton Gala | Wensleydale
- Frank Watson Kiddies Roundabouts For Hire
- Punch Fan Finds Fun Come Rain Or Sun!
- How To Build A Beach At Your Event
- Tyre Event Is Anything But Tiring!
- How To Plan A Charity Or Community Event With No Funding
- Race Night Profits Explained
- Our Favourite Crepe Man
- Face Painting Demo By Hazel
- Stilt Walker Feedback
- Morley RUFC Royal Wedding Event
- Puppet King For Wolverhampton
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- Face Painting In The Big Freeze
- Punch And Judy Show Shocks Adult Audience
- Join The Cavy Club If You Love Little Furry Animals
- More Face Painting Tips For Your Event
- Face Painter, Birmingham
- Children’s Entertainer | Right And Wrong Way To Book
- Village Halls Near Richmond, North Yorks
- Time Planning Tips
- Christmas Craft Workshop