Life in Georgian England
Georgian Punch and Judy Show
The Georgian Fair took place at the Pockerley Waggonway, Beamish, over four days from the 2nd to the 4th June. Thousands of people came every day to enjoy a taste of life in Georgian England. The event was so popular that the gates were opened thirty minutes early because of the amount of people waiting to come into the museum. One family travelled from Bolton in Lancashire on the bus, a journey which took three and a half hours each way.
The organisers took great care to ensure that everything at the fair was as authentic as possible. There was all the hustle and bustle that you would expect and visitors could see labourers working in the fields, traditional craftsmen at work, trinket sellers and entertainers performing various shows throughout the day.
The fair was officially opened at 11am each day by Squire Pockerley who invited everyone to have a good time but added a warning that drunks, thieves, pickpockets and the like would be severely dealt with. Also that no trading was allowed outside of the boundaries of Pockerely. There were live performances by Random Mike the Fire Juggler, Svenson’s “Circus Minimus” Flea Circus, clog dancers, a Northumbrian Piper and Punch and Judy.
Side Shows and Demonstrations
There as something for everyone including Swing Boat rides, Coconut Shy, traditional games and costume try on. There were demonstrations of pole lathing, traditional woodcraft, cleft ash gate making and basket weaving. You could try your hand at making a lavender bag or sample gingerbread if you were feeling a little peckish.
Fresh produce was for sale at very reasonable prices including bedding plants, perennials and herbs, fresh bread in all shapes, sizes and flavours, corn dollies, Beamish wine and hand made greetings cards.
The Georgian Fair continues to go from strength to strength. I am certainly looking forward to next year and hoping I will be invite to participate with my Punch and Judy show again.
Future Events at Beamish 2011
Power from the Past is from 1st to 4th September.
Beamish Agricultural Show is from 15th to 18th September.
- Some days I need a TARDIS! (careeringaheadncl.wordpress.com)
Jolly Good Productions
- Georgian Punch and Judy
- Georgian Fair, Beamish Museum
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- Beamish Museum Carousel Ride
- Join The Cavy Club If You Love Little Furry Animals
- Get Some Christmas Cheer
- Jolly Good Fun At RAF Waddington
- Monkwearmouth Museum Gets Thumbs Up From Mr Punch
- Punch, Fire And Crafty Goings On Delight Visitors At Top Museum
- The Romans Are Coming!
- Cyrenians at Blagdon Estate
- Alnwick Lions Family Fun Day
- Irreverent Punch At Student Party
- An Entertaining Life
- Great Yorkshire Show Is Expensive!
- How Long Will New Play Park Last?
- Beighton Gala with Mr Punch
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- Morley RUFC Royal Wedding Event
- West Witton Gala | Wensleydale
- A tribute to Michael Polakovs “Coco” a brilliant clown
- Wolsingham Gala 2015
- Cancer | Help Wanted
- Pants In The Park In Gateshead 2010
- Christmas Eve Show, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Ripon Jubilee Celebrations
- Stockton Show, August 2013
- Northfields Shopping Centre, Birmingham, Fun Day
- Wensleydale Show 2010
- The Stockton Summer Show And Why I’ve Gone Right Off Jazz Singers
- Is Twitter A Complete Waste Of Time?
- Yorkshire Punch And Judy Man
- Outdoor Events | Do I Need A Wet Weather Plan ?
- National Play Day, Meridian Park, Cleethorpes
- Wynyard Hall Gardens
- Hawes Gala 2012 Was No wash Out!
- Why You should Never Forget Your Trousers
- Victorian Punch and Judy Show
- Thorp Perrow Circus Mayhem
- Green Howards Join Up To Help Toby
- Malton Show 2015
- Ripon Seaside Day 2011
- Newbiggin Maritime Centre | Seaside Day
- The Seaside Comes To Barnsley!
- Jolly Good Fun For Army Kids
- Petwise Petting Zoo
- Redcar Christmas Light Switch On 2010
- Leyburn Primary School Summer Fair, May 2010
- Coronation Street Star In Wensleydale
- Jubilee Events | Jolly Good Productions
- Brighouse Victorian Christmas Festival 2013
- Deer Shed Festival Has Balldersby Bopping
- Punch and Judy in Durham
- Hartlepool Tall Ships Will Be Jolly Good Fun | TV Commercial
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt 2011 | Chocolate Easter Eggs
- Family Fun Day Entertainment Tips | Site Layout
- Hire A Vintage Fairground Ride
- How To Get Even More People To Attend Your Event!
- Urinals You Have Just Got To See!
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- Prescot Shopping Centre
- Mini Miami Fairground Ride For Kids
- Joel’s Amazing Pirate Cakes
- Race Night Tips For A Racing Certainty
- Mr Punch’s 350th Birthday Party
- August Bank Holiday Events
- Mr Punch and The Barrel Organ
- Hawes Gala | The Water Slide
- Bill Tarmey And Me
- Ponteland Party in the Park, 2017
- Bedale ( North Yorks ) Jubilee Party | 3rd June 2012
- The Secret Millionaire
- Wensleydale Show 2011
- C673 Family Fun Day
- Punch And Judy And Why Size Matters!
- Measuring Job Satisfaction
- Punch and the Devil
- Lady Children’s Entertainer, Richmond ( North Yorkshire )
- Desert Rats, Treasure And Redcar
- Night At The Museum | Balloon Modelling
- The Cutest Thing You’ve Ever Seen!
- Face Painter, Catterick Garrison
- Birthday Party Clown
- Chuckle The Clown | Interview
- Shooting Gallery With Moving Targets!
- In Store Entertainment That Works!
- Close Up Magic Or Acting?
- Good Old Fashioned Fun!
- How To Attract Attention To Your Stand
- Falconry UK
- Kid’s Shows Inside Or Out?