Carlisle Racecourse History Day
The Romans have arrived!
The last thing I expected to see when I arrived at Carlisle Racecourse was a Roman Centurian in full armor complete with gladius and shield looking very imposing. Not quite the Roman invasion of Britain but I was just as impressed as I imagine the ancient Brittons were when Julias Ceasar landed his cohorts on the south coast of England in 55 BC.
The gentleman I had encountered was taking part in a special history day at the Racecourse organised in conjunction with a local museum.
Tullie House is Carlisle’s finest visitor attraction with a wide range of features, exhibitions and artefacts all brought together in one impressive museum and art gallery. There are five fantastic galleries with interactive games and activities which help to bring 2000 years of Border History alive.
Roman Frontier Gallery
The Roman Frontier Gallery opened recently and is receiving national and local interest. It promotes the western end of Hadrian’s Wall and describes Carlisle’s 400 years of Roman occupation. Some of the fantastic objects to see are on loan from the British Museum.
I was fascinated by some of the amazing exhibits which the outreach team brought with them to Carlisle Racecourse. I had a go at lifting a suit of armor as worn by a Roman soldier and was amazed at how heavy it was.
Exciting Exhibitions and Events
There are some brilliant forthcoming attractions taking place at Tullie House including Family Learning Sundays ( what a good idea ). Here are a few that caught my eye :
- Roman coins
- Gadgets and Gizmos
- Halloween Scene
- Birds, Bugs and Beasts
- Natural Science in the North West
You can find out more by visiting the Tullie House web site.
I will certainly be visiting them soon, I hope you do too.
- New museums bring local history to life (guardian.co.uk)
- New Hadrian’s Wall Exhibition (ansionnachfionn.wordpress.com)
- Roman harbour found at Caerleon (bbc.co.uk)
- Shock and awe: Nijmegen helmet gives Carlisle museum a boost (guardian.co.uk)
Jolly Good Productions
- Monkwearmouth Museum Gets Thumbs Up From Mr Punch
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair 2011
- Georgian Punch and Judy
- Punch, Fire And Crafty Goings On Delight Visitors At Top Museum
- Beighton Gala with Mr Punch
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- Cyrenians at Blagdon Estate
- Newbiggin Maritime Centre | Seaside Day
- Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt 2011 | Chocolate Easter Eggs
- National Play Day, Meridian Park, Cleethorpes
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair
- Georgian Fair, Beamish Museum
- Leyburn Primary School Summer Fair, May 2010
- Memory Games Do Work
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- Night At The Museum | Balloon Modelling
- Spooky Fun | Halloween Party Ideas
- Ferret Racing
- Alnwick Lions Family Fun Day
- Hawes Gala | The Water Slide
- Irreverent Punch At Student Party
- The Secret Millionaire
- Morley RUFC Royal Wedding Event
- Hartlepool Tall Ships Will Be Jolly Good Fun | TV Commercial
- Jolly Good Fun At RAF Waddington
- Pants In The Park In Gateshead 2010
- Deer Shed Festival Has Balldersby Bopping
- Great Yorkshire Show Is Expensive!
- Thorp Perrow Circus Mayhem
- Coronation Street Star In Wensleydale
- Stockton Show, August 2013
- Hawes Gala 2012 Was No wash Out!
- Bedale ( North Yorks ) Jubilee Party | 3rd June 2012
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- Northfields Shopping Centre, Birmingham, Fun Day
- The Stockton Summer Show And Why I’ve Gone Right Off Jazz Singers
- The Seaside Comes To Barnsley!
- Ripon Jubilee Celebrations
- West Witton Gala | Wensleydale
- Christmas Eve Show, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Wensleydale Show 2010
- Ponteland Party in the Park, 2017
- Wynyard Hall Gardens
- Redcar Christmas Light Switch On 2010
- Malton Show 2015
- Bill Tarmey And Me
- Wolsingham Gala 2015
- Jubilee Events | Jolly Good Productions
- Brighouse Victorian Christmas Festival 2013
- Ripon Seaside Day 2011
- How Long Will New Play Park Last?
- Wensleydale Show 2011
- Walby Farm Park
- Petwise Petting Zoo
- Punch Arrested!
- History Of Clowns
- Frank Watson Kiddies Roundabouts For Hire
- Shooting Gallery Is Bang On Target
- Birthday Cake Ideas
- Amazing Clown Birthday Cake
- Tractor Birthday Cake
- Shooting Gallery With Moving Targets!
- A tribute to Michael Polakovs “Coco” a brilliant clown
- Race Night Tips For A Racing Certainty
- Green Howards Join Up To Help Toby
- Wolves Workshops For Children Are Howling Success!
- What is an ” AUGUSTE ” clown?
- Punch And Judy May Fayre, Covent Garden
- Balloon Modelling | Anxiety And Frustration For Parents
- Balloon Decoration Tips For Your Wedding Reception
- How To Build A Beach At Your Event
- Independant Safeguarding Authority Rules Announced
- Not Quite The Grand National
- The “Old Hoss” Of Richmond
- Punch And Judy | 350th Anniversary Celebrations
- Grand National Winner Supports Race Night Fund Raiser
- Beamish Museum Carousel Ride
- Punch and Judy in Durham
- August Bank Holiday Events
- Mr Punch and The Barrel Organ
- Hunt The Letter
- Tyre Event Is Anything But Tiring!
- A Fabulous Christmas Party
- How To Make Yourself Feel Better
- Ring on a String
- Family Fun Day Entertainment Tips | Site Layout
- Don’t Loose Your Marbles
- Bubble Trouble At Birthday Bash
- Live Crocodile To Star In Punch And Judy Show
- How To Entertain Older Kids
- C673 Family Fun Day
- Time Planning Tips