Punch And Judy Celebration Is A Huge Success
Saturday 12th May 2012
Punch and Judy (Photo credit: ronwooduk)
It was a perfect warm, sunny day and the crowds of people turned out to watch a truly historic event. Over one hundred Punch and Judy Professors met in Covent Garden, for Mr Punch‘s very special birthday party.
Punch and Judy men and women had travelled to London from all over the UK and indeed all over the world including puppeteers from Italy, the USA and Japan.
Slapsticks and Sausages!
Proceedings commenced at 2.30pm with a speech by organizer Glynn Edwards who stood in front of a giant Punch and Judy booth. There was a round of applause for the oldest performer, a lady in her eighties. Then Samuel Pepys came on and the spectators were asked to give a rousing shout for Mr Punch. On the second call a hundred Mr Punch’s sprang up from inside the booth and cavorted to the delight of the audience. Their Judy’s then came up and they danced together and then disappeared while the crowd sang happy birthday Mr Punch.
The birthday cake was sitting on the puppet stage and from it were pulled a string of 350 sausages. Some of the sausages had labels representing notable historic events to emphasize just how far back in time Mr Punch’s history can be traced.
Once the sausages were out up came the crocodiles and finally the Mr Punch’s with their slapsticks to chase them away and restore order.
The Grand Parade
The main celebrations ended with a grand parade round Covent Garden. A marching band lead the way, the musicians all dressed as Mr Punch. When the procession arrived back at the giant Punch and Judy booth there was a sing-song and a big cheer to end proceedings on a high note.
It was the best birthday party ever and Mr Punch can now look forward to his next big party in twenty-five years time to mark his 375th.
At either side of the main stage there were Punch and Judy Shows set up and performing throughout the day. It was fascinating to see the guest performers from overseas at work. The public were treated to some wonderful entertainment by masters of the art of puppetry and Punch and Judy.
Jolly Good Productions
- Georgian Punch and Judy
- Punch And Judy | 350th Anniversary Celebrations
- Mr Punch’s Big Birthday Bash
- Good Old Fashioned Fun!
- Yorkshire Punch And Judy Man
- Punch Arrested!
- As Pleased As Punch!
- Cyrenians at Blagdon Estate
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- Zumba, Why Is It So Popular?
- Punch And Judy May Fayre, Covent Garden
- Punch And Judy Visit Historic Northumberland
- Punch and Judy in Durham
- Live Crocodile To Star In Punch And Judy Show
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- World’s longest-running Punch and Judy show notches up 150 years | Mail Online
- Pants In The Park In Gateshead 2010
- Punch And Judy Show Shocks Adult Audience
- Lady Children’s Entertainer, Richmond ( North Yorkshire )
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- Punch And Judy Kissing Is No Laughing Matter
- Punch And Judy Shows Are Not All The Same!
- Victorian Punch and Judy Show
- Mr Punch and The Barrel Organ
- Punch and the Devil
- Punch Fan Finds Fun Come Rain Or Sun!
- Mr Punch and the Padre
- Genuine Laughter
- Punch and Judy Man, County Durham
- Bill Tarmey And Me
- Jolly Good Fun At RAF Waddington
- Face Painter, Catterick Garrison
- Party Tips For Mums And Dads
- Desert Rats, Treasure And Redcar
- Falconry UK
- Jolly Good Fun For Army Kids
- Urinals You Have Just Got To See!
- Storytelling | Are Fables Relevant Today?
- What is an ” AUGUSTE ” clown?
- Birthday Cakes To Steal The Show
- After Dinner Speaker Chuckle The Clown
- Book interactive stilt walkers for hire in London
- Methodist Church Hall, Scorton
- The Cutest Thing You’ve Ever Seen!
- Hazel Gets Them In Line!
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair 2011
- How To Build A Beach At Your Event
- The Secret Millionaire
- Family Fun Day Entertainment Tips | Site Layout
- Ripon Seaside Day 2011
- Ripon Jubilee Celebrations
- Irreverent Punch At Student Party
- Close Up Magic Or Acting?
- Don’t Loose Your Marbles
- A tribute to Michael Polakovs “Coco” a brilliant clown
- Mind Body and Spirit Event
- Stilt Walker Gives Guests A Big Welcome
- Cracking Cake Caper Caps Kids Commotion!
- Tips On Taking Photos Or Video At A Children’s Party
- Birthday Cake Ideas
- Joel’s Amazing Pirate Cakes
- Cakes To Die For
- Punch And Judy And Why Size Matters!
- Wynyard Hall Gardens
- Get Some Christmas Cheer
- Malton Show 2015
- Ripon Festival Spring Fair 2011
- Measuring Job Satisfaction
- Children’s Entertainer Tent | What Type, What Size?
- Mini Miami Fairground Ride For Kids
- Petwise Petting Zoo
- Cancer | Help Wanted
- ‘Spring Into Magic’ Family theatre show.
- Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt 2011 | Chocolate Easter Eggs
- An Entertaining Life
- Leyburn Primary School Summer Fair, May 2010
- Wensleydale Show 2011
- Bags Of Fun
- Walby Farm Park
- Ring on a String
- Thorp Perrow Circus Mayhem
- Hartlepool Tall Ships Will Be Jolly Good Fun | TV Commercial
- How To Get More People To Attend Your Event
- Ricky Gervais In Celebrity Lullabies
- Night At The Museum | Balloon Modelling
- Newton Le Willows Village Hall
- Magic Show For Magic Family
- Balloon Modelling | Anxiety And Frustration For Parents
- Who To Invite To A Children’s Party
- Children’s Entertainer | Right And Wrong Way To Book
- Paul Storey’s Funny Duck
- Amazing Clown Birthday Cake
- Dalton and Gayles Memorial Hall