The weather was fairly kind at the Wensleydale Show this year. A bit breezy but sunny and warm. There was one terrific down pour of rain at about 2.30pm but it soon cleared up and the sun came out again. I always enjoy this event as there is so much to see, especially if you are interested in country life. There are displays in the main arena throughout the day and the commentator is very knowledgeable about farming and the countryside which makes everything so much more interesting. There are loads of traders selling all kinds of goods, a fantastic craft marquee, the Leyburn Brass Band, fairground rides and bouncy castles for the kids, farm animals, vintage cars and machinery, beagles, hounds, horses, falconry and lots of food and refreshments. Definitely a great day out for the whole family.
The show takes place on a field just outside of Leyburn on the way in from Bellerby at the side of the A6108. I always like the view as approaching Leyburn from the Richmond side.
Wensleydale Show in the distance.
I was at the show performing Punch and Judy as I have for quite a few years.
Last year was very difficult as I was sited on a very exposed piece of high ground and the winds were extremely strong. I was quite literally hanging on to the puppet theatre during the last show to stop it blowing away even though I was well and truly anchored down. The organisers used to have a marquee for the children’s entertainment but decided on grounds of cost to dispense with this which is a shame because it is always better to be under cover.
I had three brilliant audiences this year. Lots of children and families all gathering round and joining in with gusto to the antics of old red nose. Some nice compliments too. Not so many people turned up for the last show as the rain had dispersed the crowds by then. Still, those who did come seemed to be enjoying themselves.
Behind the scenes of the Punch and Judy Show
There is a huge amount of work required to organise and run an event of this kind. I hope the Wensleydale Show continues to be supported by the general public as it is such a fantastic day out.
Put it in your diary for Bank Holiday Weekend, August 2011. It’s going to be another good one!
Jolly Good Productions
- Wensleydale Show 2011
- Mr Punch’s Xmas Party
- Deer Shed Festival Has Balldersby Bopping
- West Witton Gala | Wensleydale
- Jolly Good Fun At RAF Waddington
- Christmas Craft Workshop
- Puppet King For Wolverhampton
- Hartlepool Tall Ships Will Be Jolly Good Fun | TV Commercial
- Why You should Never Forget Your Trousers
- Punch and Judy Man, County Durham
- Christmas Show For Your Xmas Party
- Jolly Good Fun For Army Kids
- Traditional Amusements | Chair O Plane Ride
- Do You Suffer From Wind?
- Family Fun Day Entertainment Tips | Site Layout
- Coronation Street Star In Wensleydale
- Why Everyone Loves A Pirate Theme Party
- Prescot Shopping Centre
- Punch, Fire And Crafty Goings On Delight Visitors At Top Museum
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- Alnwick Lions Family Fun Day
- Wynyard Hall Gardens
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- Monkwearmouth Museum Gets Thumbs Up From Mr Punch
- The Seaside Comes To Barnsley!
- Beighton Gala with Mr Punch
- Lady Children’s Entertainer, Richmond ( North Yorkshire )
- Bill Tarmey And Me
- Redcar Christmas Light Switch On 2010
- Pants In The Park In Gateshead 2010
- The “Old Hoss” Of Richmond
- Parties For Girls
- The Creepy Crawly Show | Children’s Entertainment
- Race Night Race Card Example
- Northfields Shopping Centre, Birmingham, Fun Day
- How To Entertain Older Kids
- How To Attract Attention To Your Stand
- Punch And Judy Show Shocks Adult Audience
- Face Painting For Beginners
- Christmas Eve, FREE Show!
- Kid’s Shows Inside Or Out?
- First Xmas Show Of 2010
- More Face Painting Tips For Your Event
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- Ripon Seaside Day 2011
- Circus Workshop Plan For An Event
- Whitburn Hall Hire
- Children’s Entertainer Tent | What Type, What Size?
- Christmas Costume Characters In Action
- Jolly Good Productions Links To Main Pages
- Hire Real Donkeys
- Petwise Petting Zoo
- Punch and the Devil
- Victorian Punch and Judy Show
- Christmas Eve Show, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Face Painter, Catterick Garrison
- Bouncy Castle Safety
- Punch and Judy in Durham
- Punch And Judy Visit Historic Northumberland
- Punch And Judy And Why Size Matters!
- Punch And Judy Shows Are Not All The Same!
- Punch Fan Finds Fun Come Rain Or Sun!
- Punch And Judy Kissing Is No Laughing Matter
- Genuine Laughter
- Corporate Entertainment Is New Branch For Tree Pub
- Magic Show For Magic Family
- Festive Balloons
- Pregnant ‘Bump Painting’
- Mayor For A Minute
- Why Hire a Professional Face Painter?
- Flowers and Rainbow Faces | Face Painting by Hazel Wood
- Butterfly Face by Hazel Wood
- Great Yorkshire Show Is Expensive!
- National Play Day, Meridian Park, Cleethorpes
- Falconry UK
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- Mr Punch and The Barrel Organ
- Mr Punch and the Padre
- Punch And Judy | 350th Anniversary Celebrations
- World’s longest-running Punch and Judy show notches up 150 years | Mail Online
- The Buck Inn, Maunby
- Yorkshire Punch And Judy Man
- As Pleased As Punch!
- Punch Arrested!
- Punch And Judy May Fayre, Covent Garden
- Lazer Quest
- Outdoor Events | Do I Need A Wet Weather Plan ?
- Rushden Christmas Light Switch On 2014
- Don’t Loose Your Marbles
- Royal Quays Star Wars Piece
- Magic And Monkey Business At Hartlepool Rovers
- Children’s Entertainer | Right And Wrong Way To Book