The Devil in Punch and Judy
The Devil ( that's him on the left )
Ask anyone to name some of the characters in a Punch and Judy show and they will probably name Mr Punch, Judy, the baby, the policeman, the crocodile and the sausages ( although sausages are an object they will still be mentioned ). These are the main characters that people are familiar with. Rarely will they mention the Devil. In fact this character is not seen very often in the modern version of the show.
The Devil was once an important character who would regularly appear in plays and stories performed in public places. He was very well known!
In medieval times people were God fearing. The church had great power and influence over the population and it was believed that wrong doers would be damned. They thought that those who lived a good life would be rewarded by going to heaven when they died. Those who were sinners on the other hand would be cast down into the fires of hell.
Hell was presided over by Satan, also known as Beelzebub, Lucifer, “Old Nick” or the Devil. This terrifying apparition, half man, half goat with cloven hooves, a barbed tail, and horns could appear at any moment and carry an evil person off to the underworld.
In modern western society religion is less influential than it once was. People are much better educated and the power of the church has significantly declined. The majority of people do not read the bible, they attach little value to religious education, christian morality or ethics. The Devil has therefore become irrelevant in day to day life except perhaps in novels or Hollywood movies.
The Devil provides a perfect adversary for Mr Punch even though the children watching have no idea who he really is. In my show the Devil’s first words are “Do you know who I am” The children will often shout in reply “A Vampire!”
The role of the Devil is to punish Mr Punch for being naughty. He begins by telling Mr Punch off. When the Devil tries to take Punch away a fight breaks out. The audience cheer for Mr Punch which results in the devil becoming more and more agitated. Eventually Punch triumphs to the delight of his supporters.
Mr Punch’s confrontation with the Devil is undoubtedly an exciting high point and a great way to end the show.
A favorite character
Of all the characters in my Punch and Judy Show, the Devil is one of my favorites. He always provokes a great reaction from the crowd. He is brash, arrogant and not very like able. A character the audience loves to hate. Although I don’t always use him I know when I do, he will live up to expectations. Always a great crowd pleaser!
Jolly Good Productions
- Punch And Judy Shows Are Not All The Same!
- Punch And Judy Visit Historic Northumberland
- Punch And Judy May Fayre, Covent Garden
- Victorian Punch and Judy Show
- Mr Punch’s Xmas Party
- Punch and Judy Man, County Durham
- Mr Punch and The Barrel Organ
- Punch And Judy Kissing Is No Laughing Matter
- Punch Arrested!
- Punch And Judy Show Shocks Adult Audience
- Mr Punch and the Padre
- Who Do You Think You Are Mr Punch?
- Punch and Judy in Durham
- Punch Fan Finds Fun Come Rain Or Sun!
- Yorkshire Punch And Judy Man
- As Pleased As Punch!
- Genuine Laughter
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- Punch And Judy | 350th Anniversary Celebrations
- World’s longest-running Punch and Judy show notches up 150 years | Mail Online
- Punch, Fire And Crafty Goings On Delight Visitors At Top Museum
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- Georgian Punch and Judy
- Punch And Judy And Why Size Matters!
- Monkwearmouth Museum Gets Thumbs Up From Mr Punch
- How To Attract Attention To Your Stand
- Why You should Never Forget Your Trousers
- Wensleydale Show 2010
- Mr Punch’s Big Birthday Bash
- Live Crocodile To Star In Punch And Judy Show
- The Buck Inn, Maunby
- Alnwick Lions Family Fun Day
- Jolly Good Fun At RAF Waddington
- Falconry UK
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair
- The Seaside Comes To Barnsley!
- Family Fun Day Entertainment Tips | Site Layout
- British Legion Day, Stockton, June 2011
- Beighton Gala with Mr Punch
- West Witton Gala | Wensleydale
- Good Old Fashioned Fun!
- Coronation Street Star In Wensleydale
- Mr Punch’s 350th Birthday Party
- All Saint’s Church Hall, Ravensdale Road, Darlington
- An Entertaining Life
- C673 Family Fun Day
- Mr Punch | Breaking News!
- Top Tips for Race Night Success
- Beamish Museum, Georgian Fair 2011
- Malton Show 2015
- Do You Suffer From Wind?
- Measuring Job Satisfaction
- Traditional Amusements | Chair O Plane Ride
- Methodist Church Hall, Scorton
- Kid’s Shows Inside Or Out?
- Jolly Good Productions Links To Main Pages
- Pregnant ‘Bump Painting’
- Face Painting Tips 1
- Wilson Centre, Long Newton, Stockton On Tees
- Hunton Village Hall | North Yorkshire
- Thirsk and Sowerby Town Hall
- Escomb Village Hall
- Steve Martin – The Great Flydini
- Pants In The Park In Gateshead 2010
- Borrowby Village Hall
- Line Dancing Classes in Bedale, North Yorkshire
- Time Planning Tips
- Cracking Cake Caper Caps Kids Commotion!
- Race for Life
- What can politicians learn from the clowns?
- A tribute to Michael Polakovs “Coco” a brilliant clown
- Defining Happiness
- Cancer | Help Wanted
- History Of Clowns
- In Store Entertainment That Works!
- Green Howards Join Up To Help Toby
- Is Twitter A Complete Waste Of Time?
- Christmas Show For Your Xmas Party
- How to get the most from your children’s entertainer!
- Children’s Centre Activity Day Feedback
- Christmas Puppet Show
- Free Children’s Show, Christmas Eve | Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Adam’s Crazy Caricatures!
- Joel’s Amazing Pirate Cakes
- Birthday Cake Ideas
- Christmas Costume Characters In Action
- Paul Storey’s Funny Duck
- Christmas Eve Show, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Kids Say The Funniest Things
- Gerry Anderson Tribute
- Puppet King For Wolverhampton
- Christmas Eve, FREE Show!
- How to make a puppet head | You Tube