The term “monkey business” means fooling around or mischief and some might say that my children’s Magic Show has lots of monkeying around in it, mainly at the expense of my good self of course.
It was a pleasure to be invited to entertain children at Hartlepool Rovers Rugby Club. The Magic Show went really well and I couldn’t help noticing various references to “monkey business” in some of the pictures and exhibits on display in the clubhouse.
There is a very well known story going back to the Napoleonic Wars when a monkey which had fallen from a passing ship was washed ashore on the beach in Hartlepool. The local people were convinced that the monkey was a French spy and it was summarily hanged.
The story of the monkey has become a long standing joke and Hartlepool folk are sometimes referred to as “monkey hangers” just as those from Redcar are called “sand scratchers” and those from Skelton or Brotton might be called ” Wolleybacks”
I like the story about the monkey. I’m sure it’s pure fiction and if I lived in Hartlepool I’d probably make the most of it. I’m sure it would earn me a pint or two in my travels.
There is a great tradition of rugby in Hartlepool and I am told there are currently five rugby clubs although I only know the names of three of them. Can anyone give me the full list?
As an ex rugby player myself I found it interesting looking at the clubs trophies and memorobilia.
I am looking forward to my next visit to Hartlepool. If you know any one looking for children’s entertainment with plenty of monkey business give me a call:
Go to the web site Jolly Good Productions, or call me by telephone : Tel 01748 821621
Hartlepool Rovers Memorabilia
Hartlepol Rovers Caps
Hartlepool Rovers Display
Hartlepool Rovers Club House
Jolly Good Productions
- Holiday Club Ideas | Magic Day
- Magic Show For Magic Family
- Hartlepool Tall Ships Will Be Jolly Good Fun | TV Commercial
- Jolly Good Fun At RAF Waddington
- Prescot Shopping Centre
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- Birthday Party Magic
- Close Up Magic Or Acting?
- It’s Magic! Coins and Cards by Ron Wood
- Spring Into Magic.
- Magician’s Lemon Cheescake Recipe Is Magic
- Royal Quays Star Wars Piece
- Children’s Entertainer Tent | What Type, What Size?
- Children’s Entertainer | Right And Wrong Way To Book
- Christmas Show For Your Xmas Party
- Northfields Shopping Centre, Birmingham, Fun Day
- Parties For Girls
- Deer Shed Festival Has Balldersby Bopping
- Bouncy Castle Safety
- Kid’s Shows Inside Or Out?
- How To Entertain Older Kids
- Christmas Craft Workshop
- Ingredients For A Good Children’s Entertainer
- Christmas Is A Pain In The B**!
- West Witton Gala | Wensleydale
- Lazer Quest
- Christmas Costume Characters In Action
- The Creepy Crawly Show | Children’s Entertainment
- Children’s Entertainment Can Be A Real Hoot
- Jolly Good Fun For Army Kids
- Children’s Centre Activity Day Feedback
- Mr Punch | Breaking News!
- Face Painting | Health And Safety
- Hire Real Donkeys
- Mr Punch’s Xmas Party
- The “Old Hoss” Of Richmond
- Circus Workshop Plan For An Event
- Jolly Good Productions Links To Main Pages
- Borrowby Village Hall
- Whitburn Hall Hire
- Don’t Loose Your Marbles
- Family Fun Day Entertainment Tips | Site Layout
- Face Painter, Catterick Garrison
- Rushden Christmas Light Switch On 2014
- Outdoor Events | Do I Need A Wet Weather Plan ?
- Petwise Petting Zoo
- Why Everyone Loves A Pirate Theme Party
- Puppet King For Wolverhampton
- Wensleydale Show 2010
- How To Build A Beach At Your Event
- History Of Clowns
- Ripon Seaside Day 2011
- The Seaside Comes To Barnsley!
- Race Night Winning Formula
- In Store Entertainment That Works!
- Wolves Workshops For Children Are Howling Success!
- Free Children’s Show, Christmas Eve | Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Irreverent Punch At Student Party
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- Why Do We Like Clowns So Much ?
- What can politicians learn from the clowns?
- Yorkshire Punch And Judy Man
- Newbiggin Maritime Centre | Seaside Day
- Brighouse Victorian Christmas Festival 2013
- Why You should Never Forget Your Trousers
- Free Business Directory
- Leyburn Primary School Summer Fair, May 2010
- Hawes Gala 2012 Was No wash Out!
- Great Yorkshire Show Is Expensive!
- Wynyard Hall Gardens
- Birthday Party Venue Is Magic
- National Play Day, Meridian Park, Cleethorpes
- How to plan a Children’s Christmas Party
- How Long Will New Play Park Last?
- Bags Of Fun
- Cardboard Castles | Fab Fun For Kids!
- King Custard Puppet Show Review
- An Entertaining Life
- Lady Children’s Entertainer, Richmond ( North Yorkshire )
- Birthday Party Clown
- Live Crocodile To Star In Punch And Judy Show
- Redcar Christmas Light Switch On 2010
- Entertaining Pre School Age Children At A Birthday Party
- How To Draw Attention To Your Store Opening
- How to get the most from your children’s entertainer!
- Punch And Judy Show Shocks Adult Audience
- Who To Invite To A Children’s Party
- Face Painting For Beginners
- Traditional Amusements | Chair O Plane Ride
- Race Night Race Card Example
- The Buck Inn, Maunby
- Time Planning Tips
- Christmas Puppet Show