The term “monkey business” means fooling around or mischief and some might say that my children’s Magic Show has lots of monkeying around in it, mainly at the expense of my good self of course.
It was a pleasure to be invited to entertain children at Hartlepool Rovers Rugby Club. The Magic Show went really well and I couldn’t help noticing various references to “monkey business” in some of the pictures and exhibits on display in the clubhouse.
There is a very well known story going back to the Napoleonic Wars when a monkey which had fallen from a passing ship was washed ashore on the beach in Hartlepool. The local people were convinced that the monkey was a French spy and it was summarily hanged.
The story of the monkey has become a long standing joke and Hartlepool folk are sometimes referred to as “monkey hangers” just as those from Redcar are called “sand scratchers” and those from Skelton or Brotton might be called ” Wolleybacks”
I like the story about the monkey. I’m sure it’s pure fiction and if I lived in Hartlepool I’d probably make the most of it. I’m sure it would earn me a pint or two in my travels.
There is a great tradition of rugby in Hartlepool and I am told there are currently five rugby clubs although I only know the names of three of them. Can anyone give me the full list?
As an ex rugby player myself I found it interesting looking at the clubs trophies and memorobilia.
I am looking forward to my next visit to Hartlepool. If you know any one looking for children’s entertainment with plenty of monkey business give me a call:
Go to the web site Jolly Good Productions, or call me by telephone : Tel 01748 821621
Hartlepool Rovers Memorabilia
Hartlepol Rovers Caps
Hartlepool Rovers Display
Hartlepool Rovers Club House
Jolly Good Productions
- Holiday Club Ideas | Magic Day
- Magic Show For Magic Family
- Hartlepool Tall Ships Will Be Jolly Good Fun | TV Commercial
- Jolly Good Fun At RAF Waddington
- Prescot Shopping Centre
- Athersley South Action Group Show How It’s Done!
- Birthday Party Magic
- Close Up Magic Or Acting?
- It’s Magic! Coins and Cards by Ron Wood
- Spring Into Magic.
- Magician’s Lemon Cheescake Recipe Is Magic
- Royal Quays Star Wars Piece
- Children’s Entertainer Tent | What Type, What Size?
- Children’s Entertainer | Right And Wrong Way To Book
- Christmas Show For Your Xmas Party
- Northfields Shopping Centre, Birmingham, Fun Day
- Deer Shed Festival Has Balldersby Bopping
- Parties For Girls
- Kid’s Shows Inside Or Out?
- How To Entertain Older Kids
- Bouncy Castle Safety
- Christmas Craft Workshop
- West Witton Gala | Wensleydale
- Children’s Centre Activity Day Feedback
- Christmas Costume Characters In Action
- Christmas Is A Pain In The B**!
- Ingredients For A Good Children’s Entertainer
- Children’s Entertainment Can Be A Real Hoot
- Jolly Good Fun For Army Kids
- The Creepy Crawly Show | Children’s Entertainment
- Lazer Quest
- Mr Punch | Breaking News!
- Hire Real Donkeys
- Mr Punch’s Xmas Party
- Face Painting | Health And Safety
- Jolly Good Productions Links To Main Pages
- Family Fun Day Entertainment Tips | Site Layout
- Circus Workshop Plan For An Event
- Face Painter, Catterick Garrison
- Rushden Christmas Light Switch On 2014
- The “Old Hoss” Of Richmond
- Borrowby Village Hall
- Don’t Loose Your Marbles
- Whitburn Hall Hire
- Petwise Petting Zoo
- Why Everyone Loves A Pirate Theme Party
- Wensleydale Show 2010
- Puppet King For Wolverhampton
- Outdoor Events | Do I Need A Wet Weather Plan ?
- How To Build A Beach At Your Event
- History Of Clowns
- The Seaside Comes To Barnsley!
- Ripon Seaside Day 2011
- Race Night Winning Formula
- In Store Entertainment That Works!
- Wolves Workshops For Children Are Howling Success!
- Free Children’s Show, Christmas Eve | Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Irreverent Punch At Student Party
- Why Do We Like Clowns So Much ?
- Punch and Judy | A Short History
- What can politicians learn from the clowns?
- Newbiggin Maritime Centre | Seaside Day
- Yorkshire Punch And Judy Man
- Leyburn Primary School Summer Fair, May 2010
- Brighouse Victorian Christmas Festival 2013
- Hawes Gala 2012 Was No wash Out!
- Free Business Directory
- Great Yorkshire Show Is Expensive!
- Why You should Never Forget Your Trousers
- National Play Day, Meridian Park, Cleethorpes
- Wynyard Hall Gardens
- How to plan a Children’s Christmas Party
- Live Crocodile To Star In Punch And Judy Show
- Birthday Party Clown
- Redcar Christmas Light Switch On 2010
- An Entertaining Life
- Lady Children’s Entertainer, Richmond ( North Yorkshire )
- King Custard Puppet Show Review
- Birthday Party Venue Is Magic
- How Long Will New Play Park Last?
- Cardboard Castles | Fab Fun For Kids!
- How To Draw Attention To Your Store Opening
- Bags Of Fun
- How to get the most from your children’s entertainer!
- Entertaining Pre School Age Children At A Birthday Party
- Punch And Judy Show Shocks Adult Audience
- Who To Invite To A Children’s Party
- Face Painting For Beginners
- Traditional Amusements | Chair O Plane Ride
- The Buck Inn, Maunby
- Time Planning Tips
- Race Night Race Card Example
- Christmas Puppet Show